The Jewish Museum Berlin – a direct federal foundation under public law – is looking to hire:
A Program Director
beginning 1 February 2017
Within the directorate and under the guidance of the director, (s)he is responsible for the overall conceptual planning of the museum. Alongside the managing director, (s)he may be called to represent the director at any time. For this prominent position with a great deal of personal responsibility, we are looking for a team-oriented, dynamic personality with a proven ability to initiate and implement exceptional and unconventional concepts.
Areas of resonsibility
• Responsible for the organizational areas collections, permanent exhibition, temporary exhibitions, digital & publishing, and the academy
• Conception and planning of the museum’s entire exhibition program and an attractive event program
• Representation/communication of the museum and its programs in the public sphere, in particular with cooperation partners from politics, cultural institutions, and society in Germany and abroad, including public addresses and welcome speeches
• Overall editorial responsibility for all program-related texts
• University degree (Master or equivalent) in Judaic/Jewish studies, history, cultural studies, political science, or similar disciplines
• Documented knowledge of the history, culture, and religion of German Jews and Jews in Germany
• Long-standing management and leadership experience acquired in a museum or comparable institution in at least some of the listed areas of responsibility
• In-depth knowledge and skills in modern museum management or project management
• Documented experience in the development, organization, and realization of exhibitions
• Very good spoken and written English
• German language skills and the willingness to acquire German as a working language
• Good knowledge of Hebrew is preferable
• Cooperative, integrative, and moderating management style; organizational and management skills; a talent for conceptual development; creativity
• Excellent communication skills, assertiveness, flexibility, resilience, outstanding commitment, self-assured demeanor
In accordance with the prominence of this position, the remuneration will be pay grade AT B. The position is initially limited to a period of two years, which serves as a probationary period. An unlimited continuation of the contract is intended assuming all conditions are fulfilled at the end of this period.
The Jewish Museum Berlin Foundation ensures the equality of women and men in accordance with the Bundesgleichstellungsgesetz (German Equal Opportunities Act).
Disabled applicants will be given preferential consideration if qualifications and personal suitability are equal.
Applications with the usual documents quoting Ref. 4/2016, which we are happy to receive in electronic form, should reach us by 9 May 2016 (according to the internal entry stamp) at: Jewish Museum Berlin Foundation, Personnel Department, Ms Katrin Krüger, Lindenstraße 9-14, 10969 Berlin, Email: email@example.com
Please note that the application documents submitted will not be returned. We thus ask you to only send copies without an application folder. The documents will be kept for two months after the application procedure and then destroyed.
For further details about the position, please contact Ms Katrin Krüger on tel. +49 (0)30 25 993 403.